Friday, December 7, 2007

Experiences - Orb Damage Bug?

So I was playing a TDA game today, a -rd to be specific, when I noticed something which I consider a bug and have seen before but usually disregard. The only difference was that in this game, and the primary reason I am writing about it instead of disregarding, is that it truly affected the outcome.

The lineups were as follows:

Sentinel

  1. Axe
  2. Zeus
  3. Twin Headed Dragon (me)
  4. Venomancer
  5. Treant Protector

Scourge

  1. Silencer
  2. Faceless Void
  3. Tidehunter
  4. Shadow Fiend
  5. Centaur

So everyone is about level 17-18ish, the game is going along fairly tight, towers fairly even, with teams both down to their main bases in middle. Three of my teammates and I are neutraling bottom-mid, while the other guy is farming top (Zeus). I am neutraling bottom of the Sentinel side, where the weaker satyr creeps spawn, perusing the map while my hero cleans up, when I notice damage symbols coming from the fog where roshan sits. It is obviously black on my map since I am not in vision range, but I am seeing +59 , +59, etc etc. Obviously it is coming from silencer's glaive attack, showing up in the fog of war on my screen as he hits roshan with glaive damage. Pinging and alerting my team, we quickly congregate, leaving our neutral sites bottom and mid, meeting in bottom river, as Zeus continues to farm top.....

The four of us (minus Zeus) rush Roshan and make quick domination out of the three heroes there: silencer, shadow fiend, and tidehunter. The other scourge heroes, and the reason it wasn't so obvious they were roshaning, were evident on the mini map, one farming mid (centaur), and the other had just left top (faceless void). After the quick obliteration, Zeus boots of travelled to mid and we pushed mid tower and both mid racks, ultimately winning us the game.

This led me to question if the result would have been different if we had not seen the orb damage in the fog of war; leading us to finish off roshan and kill all three of there heroes there, tipping the scales in our favor at that moment considerably; allowing us to nab the aegis charge, each gain +200 gold for roshan, and push with a 5v2 advantage.

Orb damage which is displayed with a damage amount can be seen in fog of war by the opposing team (harbinger's arcane orb, enchantress impetus, silencer's glaives). I think this is unfair in the fact that the team against this gets an advantage on ganks, and definitely on intercepting roshan fights that may not be obvious otherwise. This is something which I consider a bug that can potentially alter games and which seems like a reasonable thing to be looked at for IceFrog to tweak in future versions.

2 comments:

Rinaldo Maldera said...

It has been discussed on the forums. Is always annoying when the situation you describe happens (when you're the team killing Roshan :-P) but apparently those numbers thru fog are still around because something in the way of the trigger to display them prevents IceFrog from fixing it at this point.

Let's hope for a sooner than later fix :).

Anonymous said...

I haf seen stygian deso orb efect thru fog as well